My Three Blessings!

My Three Blessings!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

labor and delivery...

is not somewhere you want to find yourself when you are only 29 weeks pregnant. Yet, this is exactly where this pregnant gal found herself Friday night!

Friday evening I had been experiencing a ton of pressure. I then began noticing that this pressure wasn't constant, but was coming in regular intervals. Could this be contractions? Nah... but better to be safe than sorry, right?! So, after a quick call to the doctor we were in route to be monitored on the labor and delivery floor.

The whole way up there i just kept thinking how stupid the nurses would think I was for even coming in. But after all, my doctor did suggest it. That always makes you feel less dumb, right?! ;) Anyway, we get there, get checked in and get settled into watching the monitor roll. And... much to my surprise my uterus was indeed contracting! What the flip?!!! I really just thought all the pressure must have been because, oh ya know, Axl is dropping, something simple. But, no. no. I was indeed having small contractions that were coming every 2 to 3 minutes at only 29 weeks pregnant! The nurse then checked my cervix and said I was dilated to 1 cm and 50 % effaced! Again, What the Flipity Flip Flip?! You've got to be kidding me? This isn't really happening. I mean, I thought I was going to be made fun of for coming in! lol!

So, the monitoring game began. We watched, waited, laughed... took several trips to the potty room (they were drowing me in water!)... oh and then we waited some more. Finally, the nurse called the on-call doctor and he said I needed to be admitted for the night. What?! Are you really serious?! Unbelievable!

So... we then headed on over to our room (just down the hall) and got settled in for a nice long night! haha! They had to try twice to get the i.v. flowing because my veins are super small. This is never fun for me. I absolutely hate getting I.V's for this reason. After they finally got it, they began giving me magnesium to settle my uterus. I was thankful for this but man does that stuff hurt! My arm was on fire the entire night so I couldn't rest... well between that and all the bp checks, bathroom visits (which required me and the nurse with all the cords, lol) and beeping! ha! Typical hospital stuff. I think Jared was able to sleep some. Thank goodness, because he headed out at 4:30a.m. to go mow (with all the rain lately, he just had to go get caught up.)

Anyway, crazy little unexpected thing in life. I had been feeling just fine, I mean, actually feeling pretty great! I'd even been working out (which Jared and I think maybe might have contributed to this little incident). But, when you're feeling so good, you want to do the things you can. Or at least that's how I roll anyway! It was an evening/night/next day full of emotion and question. Could little Axl make his appearance at only 29 weeks? If so, what will we face with his health? Will I end up on bed rest for the remainder of this pregnancy? (which by the way, i'm currently on until thursday.) All these things scrolling through my mind when just hours earlier I had been at the gym feeling amazing. It's something how life can change so quickly, isn't it?! This little hospital visit was just a reminder to Jared and I that we are NOT in control! We may have our plans, hopes, and goals but only our sweet Jesus is in control. And man is he ever in complete control!

That morning in the hospital, around 10, the doctor came in to check me. He said if I was really dilated to 1 cm that the hospital room would be my home for quite a while. Again, What?! This is just crazy! He checked me and said, "Just what I thought, your cervix is closed!" Amen and hallelujah! Praise Jesus! So, either the nurse just messed up (which checking for dilation is subjective) or God just closed me up! I'd like to think the later is true but either way God caused all this to happen for a reason! So, the doctor took me off the magnesium (I was really thankful for this!) monitored my uterus until 3, and sent me on my way (on bed rest of course)! And that was that! Bye Bye labor and delivery hope to not see you again until I'm at least 38 weeks!

God brought me great comfort through His Spirit and His Word during this time. I wasn't really telling friends/family that I was there because I wasn't really sure what was going on and didn't want to alarm anyone. I just prayed that the Lord would ask his saints to pray for me. When I called my sister the following day to tell her the situation she said, "That's funny, because late last night I just felt like I really needed to pray for you and Axl, even more than I normally do." That's not funny, That's God! And I'm so thankful for a sister who is sensitive to His spirit!

It's Sunday morning now. I'm home (on bed rest) and doing great! Axl is doing great as well. We actually got to have an ultrasound (such a blessing) while in the hospital and the little guy is measuring perfectly! It was good to see a glimpse of him too!

Been here, done the bed rest thing before and I can do it again for my boy! I'm just praying that the bed rest is only until Thursday this time. Then I can get back to some what of a normal pregnancy. There are lots of things I hope to do with SB this summer (it being our last with just her). Yes, I'm getting super sentimental about this! And the fact that she is growing up way to fast!

Some comfort from Jesus during my wide range of emotions....
Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air, they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? ( Oh how I love this!)

Matthew 6: 34
Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Isn't this the truth!)

Thank you Jesus for my precious family. Thank you for the lessons you teach, the things you remind us of and always carrying us through the situations life brings our way. You deserve all of our praise! To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment